Friday, March 26, 2010

WORDS

Leave a Comment

Language is a form of human reason, which has its internal logic of which man knows nothing – was how language was defined by someone. What internal logic was the person talking about? I guess it is the words. Words, the basic building block of any form of written or oral communication that we do in our lives. The sumptuous songs, the nostalgic novels, the special speeches all of them were possible because of the words which constitute them. Let me dive into this ocean called words and put forward certain examples which show when used correctly, the magic which words can create.

I was apprehensive of joining Toastmasters. I was asking myself what can I get out of Toastmasters? Then, I read a saying by the first lady president of Toastmasters club. “If you want to get out of Toastmasters with all that you can get out of Toastmasters, then you will never want to get out of Toastmasters”. This simple sentence which carried a deep underlying message convinced me that I am at the right place. We say a lot of things, what matters is how we say it. “I am a very funny person by nature” is what most people will say. How about putting forward this fact in a different way “No me No fun, Know me Know Fun”. It’s the same thing, but creates a different kind of impression on the person it is intended for. Anything that is different from the rest excites people. Same with words, saying things in a different manner does make a difference. Somewhere in suburban Europe there was a contest where guys had to say the following line to a girl “I can die for you” in an innovative way. The winner said it like this “If the only way possible for us to be together is in my dreams, then I will sleep forever”. That is the effect which words can create on someone’s mind. In the movie 3 Idiots when Joy Lobo committed suicide, the thing which hit the viewers the most were two words I QUIT. Two simple words put forward his helplessness, his depression and his pain. The email which we send out to guests before every toastmaster’s session has the subject line “When does a human brain stop working?” These words do generate more interest in the mind of the recipient rather than a simple email subject line.

Words when used cleverly can act as a great motivating tool. “Yes we can” by Barrack Obama, “All is well” from 3 idiots are no longer mere words. They symbolize hope. Words can also persuade people. My grandma who stays in Abu Dhabi was speaking to me and I asked her “Granny why don’t you open an email account? It’s easier to stay in touch.” To which she said “Internet is for young people, I am old now”. I told her “Granny growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional”. Now I find it difficult to keep up with her frequent emails.

Words can motivate people to achieve the impossible. Champion’s league final 2005, AC Milan vs Liverpool. Going into half time, Liverpool were losing the match 3-0. The stadium had approximately 50 thousand Liverpool fans. During the entire duration of the half time break those 50 thousand fans sang the Liverpool anthem “You’ll never walk alone” letting the players know that whatever be the case they are with them. Liverpool scored 3 goals in 6 second half minutes and went on to win the match. Such is the power of words.

But, like any entity on this planet Words can be misused too. It creates a similar everlasting effect albeit in a negative sense. “Such small things happens in big cities” is perhaps the biggest example of this fact. Sadly the Word “Bandh” symbolizes Bengal nowadays. Whenever I hear the word “Matrix” I can only associate it with confusion.

In spite of all these my fellow Toastmasters and guests, can we think of a world without words? What will happen to our favorite songs, poems, novels? Can anything in this world replace the feeling of joy and happiness that is generated when for the first time a toddler utters the word “Ma?” Can any other thing create a better sense of patriotism and passion than the words “Inquilab Zindabad” and “Vande Mataram”? Or for that matter can anything be more symbolic of the promise of love and togetherness that a husband and wife make to each other than the words “I do”?

Words when used correctly can create a feeling like a drop of rain in a desert. Words can dissolve boundaries and can win over anyone’s and everyone’s heart as exemplified by Boyzone in their famous song where they sing:

“It’s only words and words are all I have to take your heart away”

0 comments:

Post a Comment