“Hey
Anirban, tell me the answer to question number 2” - I tried to play deaf and
dumb but my friend was incessant. It was the aptitude test for our first job
interview and I was sitting in the first bench. As soon as the invigilator
moved towards the back of the class, I shared my answer. But as I turned, I saw
another person standing in front of me who disqualified me and my friend. Fast
forward a few months, I got an interview call from the same firm. As I entered
the interview room I found the same guy who had cancelled my paper in the
interview panel. The first question they asked me “Why didn’t you get selected
when we came to your campus?” As I about to answer, a voice played inside my
head “Better Be Safe Than Be Sorry!”
The first time I was
admitted to a hospital, I had broken my foot playing football. The doctor told
me, with a body like Mr. Universe why do you play football, stick to playing
chess - Better Be Safe than Be Sorry.
So, I decided to concentrate on studies but
soon realised that I am no genius. But, I was decent at
clicking pictures so when I proudly told my teacher about my ambition, she told
me you indeed are the black sheep of this class. See you are not wicked enough
to be a lawyer, neither you are clever enough to be a doctor so better be safe
than be sorry - become an engineer”
In trying to be safe than be sorry, I ended
up creating a barrier around me – the comfort zone. When I was harried, harassed and hammered in my hostel days, I never raised a voice, I needed to survive there for
four years, my parents had spent a lot of money to get me here - I chose to be
Safe than Be Sorry. But soon I had to visit my favourite doctor again - “You
don’t really understand me do you? Better be safe than be sorry!” “But I was
being safe than being sorry” “Who told you conforming to everything is being
safe? Who told you that things will always remain the way you want them to be?”
That was the slap I needed to break away from my prison!
I quit that college. I lost one year of my life but I chose a path - I was
going to be safe than be sorry, in the right way.
Better Be Safe than Be Sorry - One of the
first and most important lessons that we learn in our life; however the problem
is when we change it into a HABIT. The trouble with a HABIT is you remove the H, 'ABIT' remains, you remove the A, 'BIT' remains, you remove the B still 'IT' remains.
This HABIT of ours, makes us crib any time we are out of our comfort zone.
Leaving a 9-5 job to complete a higher educational degree? Better be safe than
be sorry. The salary is needed. Stuck in a relationship that is not going
anywhere? Better be safe than be sorry. What will the society say? Stay silent
as opposed to raising the voice in public? Better be safe than be sorry. I have
a family back at home.
There’s no guarantee that the 9-5 job won’t
make you redundant in the future but the degree might help you survive the
cull. Better Be Safe Than Be Sorry. The society will anyway discuss about the
relationship but by walking away now you save yourself from suffering. Better
Be Safe Than Be Sorry. The family you are protecting by remaining silent can be
attacked by those same people tomorrow but by raising your voice today you might be able to prevent
that day from coming. Better Be Safe Than Be Sorry.
I am still Mr. Universe but I play football
and even managed to score a goal in Paris of all places while representing my university team. I am no world famous photographer but I have received numerous accolades
for my clicks. I don’t want to feel sorry tomorrow by being safe today, hence I
am playing a safe game by coming out of my comfort zone. Be it public speaking,
be it dating someone way out of my league - I would rather be safe than be
sorry.
“Are you going to answer?” I was snapped
back into reality by the words of the interviewer. It was time to be safe than
be sorry and tell them a lie to get the job but I decided to be Safe than be
Sorry - “I was not selected because I was disqualified by your fellow panelist while helping my
friend” They smiled. I got the job.
When you break free from your comfort zone,
you release a prisoner - the prisoner is you.
Are you being safe than being sorry? If yes
it is time to revisit what constitutes safe. The shovel is in your heart and the escape plan is in your head. Better be safe
than be sorry.

0 comments:
Post a Comment